Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tuscan Steak

This is steak in its simplest form. You are simply going to grill a porterhouse, cut the meat away from the bone, slice the meat and then drizzle it with extra virgin olive oil and lemon. Once you try this, you will never want to reach for steak sauce again. While just about any good steak will suffice, I recommend the porterhouse. The porterhouse gives you both a full strip steak and a full tenderloin, cooked bone-in for maximum flavor. Serves 4.





Ingredients
2, 16-20 ounce Porterhouse steaks, 1 1/4 inch thick
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons*

Directions

  1. Fill a charcoal chimney with charcoal and ignite. 
  2. Season each steak with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
  3. Cook the steaks, 5 minutes per side over direct heat.
  4. When done cooking, remove from grill. Tent with foil and let steaks rest 5 minutes.
  5. Using a sharp knife, cut along the bone to remove the strip steak side in a single piece. Repeat for tenderloin side.
  6. Cut diagonally across the meat to create 1/2 inch slices (see small photo above).
  7. Divide slices among plates. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and squeeze one-half lemon over each serving. Serve immediately.

    Wine pairing: Pinot Noir

    *If you are an earlier follower of my blog, you know that I use organic lemon juice from Costco in lieu of fresh lemons: http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2010/10/lemon-juice.html. A lemon yields 3 tablespoons of juice, so if you use the Italian Volcano lemon juice, use 1 1/2 tablespoons per serving for drizzling.

    3 comments:

    1. Bloggers Note: I was challenged on timing by The Beave, a famous Ad Guy that fought with me side-by-side during the Great Ad Wars of the 1980's. For years, I have been using the timing specified by the "Weber Girls Guide to Grilling" (grilling tends to bring out my feminine side). That is what I used for the above recipe. When I went to look it up in "Weber's Charcoal Grilling", they called for 3 minutes per side for searing and 6 minutes of indirect to achieve medium rare. So I will include the caveat that"grill times may vary". If in doubt, err on the side of lower times as it is always easiest to cook a little longer if your first try falls short of your desired doneness.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi terry, dana pinkham here, LOVe your blog! I also have one although my pics are not as beautiful as yours, check it out. I have only blogged since may and need to catch it up which your blog has encouraged me to do. thanks pinkyscottage.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    3. Hi Dana! I got to visit your blog and I liked it! Don't be too impressed with my photography...less than 10% of the photos are actually shot by me.

      ReplyDelete