Monday, April 18, 2011

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Much like grilling brats, my take on grilling corn has evolved. When I first started grilling corn, I'd get the nice dark, toasted kernels, but the corn would not be completely cooked. That didn't taste very good. So like I do my brats, I cook the corn first and then use the grill to finish the corn and give it those delicious, dark toasted kernels.  (Note: The sugar in the water transfers to the corn and aids in the caramelization on the grill.)

Ingredients
4 ears of corn, on the cob, stripped of husks and silk
1 tablespoon of sugar
water

  1. Fill a large pot with water, about 3/4 of the way up. Add sugar.
  2. Fire up your grill.
  3. Bring water to a boil, then add corn. Boil for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove corn from pot and put on the grill over direct, high heat. Turn the corn frequently until all sides are toasted, about 5 minutes.
  5. Then butter the corn and top with a light dusting of shallot salt: http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2011/04/in-praise-of-shallot-salt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment