I recommend you use Johnsonville Beer 'n Bratwurst (see package at bottom of this post). And a brat is not properly finished unless you've smothered it in Silver Spring Beer 'n Brat Horseradish Mustard, available at Costco or online: http://silverspringfoods.elsstore.com/view/product/?id=27776&cid=232
5 uncooked brats
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 bottles of beer (enough to cover all of the brats)
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
5 bratwurst buns
1 chunk of mesquite
- Place uncooked brats in the bottom of a medium to large pot. Add onions and rosemary to the pan.
- Add enough beer to completely submerge the brats and the onions.
- Bring beer to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer brats, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- While the brats are simmering, fire up your grill.
- Remove the brats from the pot after 20 minutes. They are now fully cooked and only need to be browned on the grill. Toss the mesquite on your coals. Cook the brats over direct heat, covered, turning frequently until they are thoroughly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the brats from the grill. Put them in the buns. Throw in some drained onions from the pot and slather with mustard.