Saturday, March 11, 2017

Irish Tacos





I'm Irish and I love St. Patrick's Day. I love it not for the revelry, but because I get to cook up one of my very favorite meals, corned beef and cabbage. Costco stores stock up on corned beef around the St. Patrick's holiday...and I'm here to tell you it is the best corned beef I have ever tasted.

I buy the biggest cuts of meat I can find. Cooking corned beef could not be any easier. You just dump all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and walk away until dinner. Here's my favorite recipe for cooking corned beef: http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2014/03/slow-cooker-corned-beef.html  

If you have left-over corned beef, you're all set for the main ingredient for Irish Tacos. But feel free to cook up a corned beef brisket just to make this meal...it's that good. This Sam Sifton recipe will yield six to eight servings.


Ingredients
2-1/2 pounds of cooked corned beef
1 small head of green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
3 carrots, peeled and cut into julienne
1 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sour cream
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons hot sauce (like Sriracha), or more to taste
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
12 to 16 flour tortillas, warmed
3 jalapeno peppers, sliced


Directions

  1. Warm the corned beef in it's cooking liquid or wrap it in foil and set on a sheet pan in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.
  2. Make the coleslaw: mix the cabbage and carrots together in a large bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
  4. Pour half of the sauce over the coleslaw and toss to coat thoroughly. Reserve remaining sauce.
  5. When the corned beef is hot, remove it from liquid or foil and use two forks to shred the meat. Serve with warmed tortillas, sliced jalapeños, the slaw, remaining white sauce and hot pepper sauce.


Pairing: Give me a break. You only get one choice for St. Patty's Day.







No comments:

Post a Comment