Saturday, August 6, 2016

Steak and Poblano Quesadillas





I am an unashamed carnivore. The staple of my carnivore diet is steak. I could eat steak seven nights a week and be a very happy camper. However, there are certain factions in my household that will say absolutely horrible things to me like "Could we have chicken tonight?" How sharp is the serpent's tooth than that of a thankless spouse? Do they not see the boundless delight I experience....like when I went shopping last Thursday and found bone-in New York Strip Steaks for $6.99 per pound?

In order to make people feel like they are not eating steak seven nights a week means you have to change up how you present it. Grilled rib-eye one night. Steak Caesar salad the next. Maybe a little steak jello for dessert the next night. The recipe I am sharing today is a favorite because you can actually hide the steak deep in the tortilla. "Why, yes, thank you. I found this new marinade for chicken and isn't it great? Almost tastes like steak! "

Before I get into the recipe, I want to share a little secret I have for you. I have a really good fajita rub recipe. The problem is it's a little tedious. I keep promising myself I am going to make it in bulk, but the reality is that I have only done that once in my 64 trips around the sun. So I started doing some research on the Interwebs. I'm a huge fan of a company called Obie-Cue as they make a delicious rub called Steakmaker. The guy that owns Obie-Cue is a 3-time World BBQ Champion from Grand Prairie, TX. My research took me right back to Obie-Cue and their rub called "Fajita Fabulosa".



I ordered a bottle from Amazon and couldn't wait to try it (thanks to all the great reviews). I tried it out a couple of days later and the reviews were right. Absolutely great stuff straight out of the bottle. My fajita rub composition time just went from ten minutes to zero. Authentic fajita taste and all I have to do is unscrew the cap. This is the real fajita deal. It would probably go great on chicken, too....but here's to hoping I never find out. Oh, the horror.


Ingredients
One, 16-ounce New York Strip Steak
1 heaping tablespoon Fajita Fabulosa
2 medium poblano chile peppers, stems removed
Four, 10-inch flour tortillas
2 cups grated Monterey Jack Cheese
1 lime, cut into wedges


Directions

  1. Prepare your grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat.
  2. Remove steak from refrigerator and apply rub to both sides of the steak. Let steak rest on the counter for 1 hour.
  3. Grill the steak directly over the coals, with the lid closed, for 5 minutes per side.  At the same time, grill the poblano chiles directly over the coals until evenly charred on all sides, 7 to 9 minutes, turning as needed. 
  4. When steak is done, remove it from the grill and tent with foil and let it rest for a minimum of 5 minutes. After it has rested, slice the steak into thin strips.
  5. When peppers are done remove them from grill and let them cool. Then remove charred skins (discard). Roughly chop the flesh.
  6. Lay the tortillas in a single layer on a work surface. Evenly divide the steak, chiles, and cheese over half of each tortilla. Fold the empty half of each tortilla over the filling, creating a half circle, and press down firmly. Grill the quesadillas over the coals with the lid closed, until well marked and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Allow the quesadillas to cool for a minute or two before cutting into wedges.  Serve with lime wedges.


Pairing: You know the drill. It's Mexican, so I'm pairing it with my very favorite Cerveza.



No comments:

Post a Comment