Saturday, September 5, 2015

Grilled Asparagus with Chili Lime Butter





When I'm cooking meat on the grill, I like to grill my sides at the same time for the sake of convenience. Grilled asparagus is always a favorite as it will cook up in about 5 minutes...which is the same amount of time I rest my meat after grilling.

When picking out asparagus to grill, always opt for thick spears. Skinny spears cannot stand up to the heat of the grill and will overcook. And make sure you trim the base of the spears off. The base is quite fibrous and not at all tasty. The chili lime butter recipe is a favorite of mine...I often use in for corn on the cob as well.




Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 1/2 pounds thick asparagus spears with base trimmed
1/4 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground black pepper


Directions

  1. Combine butter, chili powder, cayenne, red pepper flakes, and lime zest in small bowl. Brush asparagus with butter mixture, sprinkle with salt, and season with pepper to taste. 
  2. Grill asparagus, turning once, until just tender and caramelized, about 2 to 3 minutes per side (move asparagus as needed to ensure even cooking). Transfer asparagus to platter and serve.


Wine pairing: Unfortunately, asparagus is a pairing disaster with tannic reds and oaky chardonnays. I would select a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc if you are eating chicken or fish. If you are eating red meat, I'd recommend an ice cold Pilsner beer.


















No comments:

Post a Comment