Saturday, September 7, 2013

Flank Steak Fajitas with Pico de Gallo





Jim Arnost's request last week for a cowboy rub spurred me on to research some more rubs. I decided I wanted to find a really good fajita rub for flank steak. My research led me to a fabulous rub recipe from Steven Raichlen, author of "Barbecue Bible: Sauces, Rubs and Marinades". I made it last night and it was absolutely spectacular....if I do say so myself. It put an awesome crust on the flank steak that was an explosion of Mexican flavors. We could not stop eating the meat!

I like to eat Paleo, so I like my fajitas very simple. While the soft flour tortilla is not Paleo, everything else in the fajita is. I simply complement the flavor of the meat with a spicy Pico de Gallo salsa: diced tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapeƱo, minced garlic, cilantro and a little salt and lime juice. Feel free to add cheese and your other favorite ingredients if you so desire.


FLANK STEAK FAJITAS

For the Rub
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons Kosher salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
2  teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

For the Fajitas
10 soft flour tortillas
1 large flank steak ( 1 1/2 to 2 pounds)


Directions
  1. In a small bowl, combine all rub ingredients and mix well.
  2. Sprinkle rub generously over both sides of the flank steak. Press the rub into the meat and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
  3. Prepare a grill for direct cooking over high heat. (Right before I toss the meat on, I throw a little mesquite on the coals for additional flavor).
  4. Put flank steak on grill and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Flip steak and cover grill. Cook for 5 more minutes.
  6. Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5 minutes. Then slice as thin as possible across the grain (see photo above).
  7. Place meat and Pico de Gallo on tortilla. Wrap it up and bite. Welcome to heaven!



PICO DE GALLO

Ingredients
3 large tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 jalapeƱos, diced (seeds removed)
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (use more if you are a cilantro fanboy)
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste


Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well and serve.



Pairing: Pacifico Mexican beer




No comments:

Post a Comment