Oh how I love my tater tots. And I love them even more when they are cooked in an air fryer. Golden crisp on the outside and melt-in-your-mouth creamy on the inside. Cooking tater tots in an oven is so 19th century.
I cook a half of a bag at a time so that I get all the tots in a single layer. Frozen tater tots already have oil on them, but if you're a crispy freak, you still want to add a quick blast of cooking oil. Preheating your air fryer for a couple minutes will also add to that golden brown texture. And then I am going to let you in on a secret ingredient that will forever guarantee that you will never, ever, have leftover tater tots.
Go to Amazon.com and buy yourself a jar of this "Truffle/Parmesan/Black Garlic" seasoning. This stuff is so f*cking delicious that it will take every ounce of will power in your body to not just rip off the cap and free-pour this incredible sh*t into your mouth. What this stuff does to a tater tot can only be described as "sinful".
- Preheat air fryer for 2 minutes at 400º.
- Place tater tots in a single layer. Then give them a light spray with cooking oil and sprinkle some Kosher salt over them.
- Cook tater tots for 8 minutes at 400º. Then remove drawer and shake to reposition tots (if you're incredibly anal, you can turn each tater tot over). Then season tater tots with a generous dusting of Truffle/Parmesan/Black Garlic seasoning.
- Return drawer to air fryer and cook tots for another 4 minutes at 400º (please note that 4 minutes will make them really crispy....so if you would like them a little less crispy, check them after 2 minutes).
- Open air fryer and serve tots. Add extra seasoning to taste.