Saturday, March 27, 2021

Grilled Tequila-Lime Ribeye Tacos

 



Carnivores place ribeye steaks on the highest pedestal. There is no finer steak. It is  cut from the most tender part of the cow, between the 6th and 12th rib. It is a heavily marbled slice of the longissmus dorsal muscle.

Ribeye is my favorite steak. To prepare them, I generously salt them and then place them on a wire rack in my fridge for 24 hours. I remove them 2 hours prior to cooking...setting them on the kitchen counter to bring the steaks to room temperature. Then I simply grill them over charcoal and mesquite...no additional seasonings added. Once cooked, they rest for 5 minutes under foil. Then they get a light dusting of kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper before serving.

Mr. Steak was a restaurant chain started in 1962. We had one in Edina on Vernon Avenue that was a favorite of mine when I was growing up. I was also a regular at their Dinkytown location while I attended the U of M in the early 70's. The company went bankrupt in 1987 and disappeared from the face of the earth. Fortunately, they left behind a recipe that allows me to prepare my beloved ribeye in a whole different fashion.


INGREDIENTS

For the Steak

1-1/2 pound ribeye steak, 1-1/2 inches thick

For the Marinade

1/2 cup tequila

3/4 cup fresh lime juice

1 cup chopped garlic

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 bunch chopped cilantro (stems included...the most flavorful part!)

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper


DIRECTIONS

  1. Combine marinade ingredients in a sealed plastic bag. Add steak and marinate for 3 hours.
  2. Remove steak from marinade and let it rest at room temperature for 2 hours. Put marinade in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then set aside.
  3. Prepare your grill for direct cooking over high heat.
  4. Place steak over coals and grill for 4 minutes. Then flip and grill for 4 more minutes (for medium rare). Remove steak, tent with foil and let it rest for 5 minutes.
  5. Slice steak and serve with warm corn taco shells. Garnish with leftover marinade and your favorite taco toppings and sauces.
 



Pairing: While a Malbec or a beer would be good, 
I'd keep the tequila party going with a Paloma!


Grogs and Goldie, 1956



2 comments:

  1. Wait. WHAT? Please tell me that one CUP of garlic is a typo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well CK, I went and checked the original recipe and 1 cup is correct. That's about 3 heads of garlic. I went and checked a similar recipe from Guy Fieri and it, too, used a cup of chopped garlic. The recipe should keep you vampire-free for at least a month of Sundays!

    ReplyDelete