"Comfort food is the food that makes us
feel good...satisfied, calm, cared for and carefree.
It's food that fills us up emotionally and physically.
Finding comfort in food is a basic human experience."
Few things in life say comfort like meatballs in cream sauce over buttered egg noodles. And the season and circumstances around us make me yearn for comfort. So this is what's for supper. I'm just going to put this Gretchen McKay recipe out there for you...and then I'm going to the kitchen to get cooking. Enjoy.
For the Meatballs
3 slices soft white bread, torn into pieces
1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 yellow onion , minced
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
For the Cream Sauce
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 425º. Place bread in a small bowl and cover with warm milk. Stir to combine, then set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan or skillet. Cook onion until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer onion into a large bowl. To the bowl, add the soaked bread and all other meatball ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Mix by hand until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Roll the mixture into golf ball-size meatballs, packing them firmly. Place the meatballs on an oiled sheet pan and then roast them in the oven for 20 minutes. Then remove sheet pan from oven and set aside.
- Make the sauce: Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large sauce pan. Sprinkle in flour. Stir with a whisk until flour browns, about 3 minutes. Whisk in broth and heavy cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, whisking regularly, until sauce is reduced, about 5 minutes. Then stir in sour cream and mustard. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add meatballs to sauce and gently stir to combine. Simmer meatballs in sauce until warmed through, about 5 minutes. Then spoon meatballs with sauce over buttered egg noodles and serve.