September means it's almost time to turn the culinary page. It's the time of year where grilled delights and summer salads will feel the the sharp elbows of soups, stews, pasta and roasted meats. Fall has always been my favorite season and I truly enjoy the transition to comfort foods and big roaring fires.
But given that it is only the 5th of September, I'm not ready to give up the ghost quite yet. My oven will have to wait while I wrench out every bit of goodness from my favorite cooking device, the Weber charcoal grill. This Cook's Illustrated recipe is a favorite of mine, especially when accompanied by a steaming hot, double serving of basmati rice.
For the Steak1 flank steak, 1-1/2 to 2 pounds
1/2 cup soy sauce
For the Sauce
6 scallions. sliced thin
1/2 cup finely chopped kimchi
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 teaspoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place steak in a zip lock bag and add soy sauce. Seal bag and marinate in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and let sauce sit for at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare your grill for direct cooking over high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
- Grill steak for 4 minutes per side (for medium rare).
- Remove steak from grill and tent with foil. Rest the steak for 5 minutes.
- Slice steak across the grain and then plate the steak slices. Pour kimchi-scallion sauce over the steak and serve.
Wine pairing: Zinfandel
|Grogs and Goldie, 1956|
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete