Saturday, August 22, 2015

Blue Butter




"The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."
William Blake


When it comes to steaks, I love my fat. Everyone else can have filet mignon. If I have my druthers, I'll take rib eye any day of the week. Rib eyes are thickly marbled with that delicious fat. But not all rib eyes are created equal. If you want the King of Fat, you need USDA Prime Rib Eye Steaks.




What you see above are two spectacular examples of USDA Prime rib eye steaks that I bought Thursday. They pop up at Costco near each weekend in their own, special, free-standing refrigeration unit in the Meat Department. The crème de la crème can be all yours for just $16.99 a pound at Costco. At Byerly's, you'll pay $32.99 a pound. Order them up at Manny's Steakhouse and they will set you back $60 each.


So last night I grilled them over a mesquite and charcoal fire. Just four minutes per side. I tossed on a little Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and some Chicago Steak seasoning (made by Weber and also sold at Costco). One would suppose that would have been enough fat for me....NOT. I  then crowned each steak with three pats of Blue Butter!


Blue Butter is really easy to make. You're just combining butter, blue cheese and a little thyme. But be advised that not all butter is created equal. What I am showing you here is the crème de la crème of the butter world.....Kerrygold Irish Butter. It's made from the milk of grass-fed cows on Ireland's dairy farms. It is the best tasting butter I have ever tried. I buy this from Costco as well...it's just $6.79 for 1.5 pounds. You won't ever find butter from grass-fed cows cheaper than that. And did I mention that it has a higher fat content than regular butter? 

So I've got my steaks with extra fat. I've got my butter with extra fat. So I need one more ingredient with extra fat. You guessed it....Blue Cheese (85% fat)! You take the fattest butter with the fattest cheese and put them on the fattest steak. The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom....and also to the best tasting steak you will ever eat.


Ingredients
4 ounces Kerrygold butter
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 teaspoon thyme


Directions
  1. Put all 3 ingredients in a bowl and set them on the counter at room temperature for 2 hours.
  2. After 2 hours, use the back of a fork to mash all of the ingredients together. When thoroughly mixed, remove butter mixture from bowl.
  3. Place butter mixture on waxed paper. Form the butter into a log. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  4. Remove Blue Butter from refrigerator and slice into small pats to be placed on cooked steaks.



Wine pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon



No comments:

Post a Comment