Saturday, July 5, 2014

Broiled Lobster Tail




Today marks my last day on earth as a 61 year old. When I wake up tomorrow, I will be old enough to start collecting social security...which I have no intention of doing. To celebrate, we are going to have a seafood dinner tonight. Lobster, Alaskan king crab legs, rice pilaf and a caprese salad.

Grilling is my preferred method of cooking lobster:  http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2011/04/grilled-lobster-tail.html. But I am not going to do that tonight as I am going to be broiling my crab legs. I really don't want to be running back and forth from my grill to the kitchen, so I just decided to cook them all in the oven.

My recipe for broiled Alaskan King Crab Legs is far and away my most popular posting (http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2011/05/alaskan-king-crab-legs.html). It has had nearly 7,000 page views since I posted it in May of 2011. I think the popularity of the recipe is due to how easy it is. The same will hold true for this recipe: it is so stinking easy to cook lobster this way (in fact, this is how they do it in restaurants).


Click to enlarge

The key to this recipe is a good pair of scissors. You simply cut down the middle of the top shell and then gently pull the meat out so that it rests on top of the shell. Then make a small slice in the top of the flesh and then pack that with butter. Toss in some  garlic salt, pepper and paprika and you are good to go. Then you simply broil the tails for one minute per ounce. (e.g., If your tails are 5 ounces each, you will broil them for 5 minutes total). This recipe serves four.


Ingredients
4 lobster tails
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon paprika


Directions

1. Line a broiler pan with foil.
2. Cut a line down the center of the top of the shell (not the underside of shell), stopping just before the tail fins.
3. Pull shell apart leaving it intact, and gently pull lobster meat out, cradling it on top of the now opened shell.
4. Using a sharp knife, make a small slit down the top of the meat and spread it by running your finger through the lobster meat.
5. Fill crevice with butter, then sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and paprika.
6. Broil 3-4 inches from heat for approximately 1 minute per ounce.(If you are using 5 ounce tails, cook tails for 5 minutes).
7. Remove and serve with drawn butter.



Wine pairing: A nice, oaky chardonnay.



No comments:

Post a Comment