Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bacon Slaw




Life expectancy would grow by leaps and
 bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.
Doug Larson



This will wrap up my three part series on slaws. And I'm ending it on a high note, as in bacon, for this bacon slaw goes with anything you can slap on a grill. And of utmost importance, I must point out to you that this slaw is made with bacon, the gods' greatest gift to our taste buds.

The original recipe called for four strips of bacon. Far too weenie, IMHO. It left me wanting. I felt unfulfilled. So then I tried it with eight strips. Better, but it was not the complete trip through the epicurean orgasmatron. Now I will be accused of wretched excess, but I did not find complete satisfaction until I used a full pound of bacon in the recipe. Yes, a full stinkin' pound. Excess, on occasion, is exhilarating.

So you can use four or eight strips, or the full pound. Make it your own. But do make it.


Ingredients
1 pound of bacon, diced into 1/2 inch strips
2 tablespoons of bacon drippings
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons grainy mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1/3 cup sour cream
10 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 large head)*

*I buy the pre-washed, pre-shredded bags of tri-color slaw (red cabbage, green cabbage and carrot). Each bag is 5 cups, so you'll need two bags to make this recipe.


Directions

  1. Cook bacon until crisp. Move bacon to a paper towel to drain.
  2. In a small bowl, add the bacon drippings, olive oil, vinegar, mustard, celery seeds and sour cream. Whisk until thoroughly mixed.
  3. Put the cabbage in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the cabbage, add in the bacon and toss thoroughly. Serve.


Wine pairing: Pinot Noir and bacon are BFF's.



No comments:

Post a Comment