When the cold weather hits, I always reach for this recipe. I've had it in my collection for over 25 years and did not know where it came from until Kevin Oie pointed out in CrossFit today that it is Byerly's recipe. Thanks to Kevin and Don (as in Don Byerly).
Throw in a loaf of warm artisan bread and you've got yourself one delicious meal. If you buy precooked wild rice (see photo below), this soup is ready in just 15 minutes. Serves 4.
6 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon of finely minced onion
1/2 cup of flour
3 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of cooked wild rice
1/2 cup of minced ham
1/2 cup finely grated carrots
3 tablespoons of slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup half and half
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 tablespoon minced chives (for garnish)
- Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add onion and saute until tender.
- Blend in flour. Gradually add broth while stirring.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir in rice, ham, carrots, salt and almonds. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Blend in half and half and sherry. Heat to serving temperature.
- Serve and garnish with chives.