Forget about the ramen noodles you used to buy in college (although you could certainly use them in this recipe should you desire). I'm partial to Lotus Foods' Organic Millet and Brown Rice Ramen Noodles. Delicious, healthy stuff that is an everyday item at Costco (at least it was pre-pandemic).
This "Taste of Home" recipe is a really interesting collection of ingredients...especially since I would never have thought about using spicy Italian Sausage in an Asian salad. But it works really well as the heat of the sausage is an interesting contrast to the refreshing veggies and lime-sesame dressing.
For the Salad
3 ramen noodle cakes
6 cups boiling water
1 pound of bulk, hot Italian sausage
3 green onions, sliced (green and white parts)
3 cups snow peas, halved
1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
4 tablespoons dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
For the Dressing
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar (or honey)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3 green onions, chopped (white parts only)
- Break ramen noodles into quarters and place in a large bowl. Cover noodles with hot water; let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well and return to bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Add sausage, snow peas, carrots and peanuts to the bowl of ramen noodles.
- Add dressing to salad and toss thoroughly. Serve.