Saturday, October 9, 2010

I Hate Making Salads

I love salad, but I hate all of the time consuming chopping required. Salads are a regular at the dinner table (as I have ample time to make them) but a hassle at all other times. For those times when I wanted a quick salad, I used to buy the Tabouleh salad at Costco. Quick. Delicious. But after listening to Whole 9, I found out the bulgur wheat in the salad was going to lacerate my bowels and spill it's contents into my bloodstream. Oh, the horror.

Enter Kimchi, Korea's take on Sauerkraut.. This salad is not for the weak of heart. It is a spicy, fermented Napa cabbage that will repel the uninitiated and the simpleminded. It's vegan through and through: cabbage, carrots, onions, ginger and ground/dried red peppers. And it wins high praise from the Whole 9 gods as it meets their definition of being nutrient dense.

It stores in the fridge and, thanks to the fermentation, it has a shelf life akin to a nuclear half-life. I have it daily after my CrossFit workout. I re-heat some steak in the microwave and scoop some Kimchi onto the plate. Steak and a salad in just 45 seconds! No slicing. No dicing.

I recommend the Kimchi sold at Byerly's, Cub and Whole Foods. Those are the real Korean deal. Cabbage with major kick. Do not buy the Kimchi at Costco. That is Kimchi made for people from Muskogee, Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment