This recipe is so simple and will give you a restaurant quality steak right in your own kitchen. I buy whole tenderloins at Costco to make these steaks, but you can easily have your butcher trim these for you as well. This serves four.
4 filet mignon steaks, 2" thick
Olive oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees (rack should be in the center).
- Place a saute pan in the oven (should be steel or preferably cast iron...do not use non-stick).
- Rub olive oil on the top of the steaks. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- After 30 minutes, turn a burner on high. Remove pan from oven and place on burner. Let it heat for two minutes.
- Drop steaks, seasoned side down onto pan.
- Sear for exactly 5 minutes. While searing, sprinkle exposed tops of steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Flip the steaks in the pan and place the pan in the oven. Follow these times exactly: For rare, remove after 5 minutes; for medium rare, remove after 7 minutes; for medium, remove after 9 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and tent with foil. Let them rest 5 minutes before serving. Top with butter or Bernaise sauce.
Wine pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon