It's Memorial Day Weekend.....always one of my favorite weekends of the year. The car nut side of me celebrates tomorrow like a holy day of obligation. In the morning, Formula One takes to the streets of Monte Carlo in the Grand Prix de Monaco. Red Bull has stunned the world by beating out the two Mercedes cars for the pole. And then at 11am, it's time for the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. There is no better day if you are a fan of open-wheel racing.
Memorial Day Weekend also marks the time that grilling season is in full swing. I've got 50 pounds of lump charcoal in reserve and a very ample supply of hickory and mesquite. So far, the weather has not been very good for that up here in Minnesota. I have two apps on my iPhone that I use to keep track of all the weather activity: Weather Bug Elite and Dark Sky. Between the two of them, it's like having an electronic Cody Matz sitting on your shoulder. Last night I was able to sneak in a grilling session between the rain drops for Sriracha Glazed Pork Kebabs.
Tonight it's going to be Grilled Sriracha-Scallion Flank Steak. It's a very easy recipe. But here, I want to remind everyone about the importance of letting your meat rest after grilling. Heat causes the juices in the meat to concentrate near the surface. If you cut the meat immediately after grilling, all of the juices will run out. By tenting the meat with foil and letting it rest after grilling, osmosis takes over and re-distributes the juices throughout your steak.
1 flank steak, about 1 1/2 pounds
3 tablespoons Sriracha
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 bunch of scallions, chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a zip lock bag. Seal bag and then toss to mix all ingredients thoroughly. Marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Prepare your grill for direct cooking over high heat.
- Remove steak from zip lock bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place steak directly over coals and cover grill. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip steak over and cover grill. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove steak from grill, tent with foil and let steak rest for 5-10 minutes. Then slice across the grain (see photo above) and serve.
Wine pairing: Malbec