Finally. It's March 30th and for the first time in 2013, all of the snow is off the deck. I now have a clear path to my beloved Weber Performer, which has sat cold, forlorn and untouched since last November. It's time to clear the cobwebs from the bag of charcoal in the garage and grill up some steaks! 'Nuff said. Let's get to it.
2, 16-ounce New York Strips, 1 1/2 inches thick
2 teaspoons kosher salt
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 lemon, halved
- In a small bowl, mix mustard, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Season steaks with kosher salt.
- Coat steaks with Dijon mustard mix. Cover and refrigerate for four hours.
- After four hours, remove steaks from refrigerator and let them stand at room temperature for one hour.
- Prepare charcoal grill for direct cooking over high heat. If you have a gas grill, turn all burners on high.
- For medium rare, grill steaks on the first side for 7 minutes. Then flip and grill them on the second side for 5 minutes.
- Remove steaks from grill and let them rest for ten minutes.
- Squeeze lemon juice on each steak and serve.
Wine pairing: Cabernet Sauvignon