The Publican is a restaurant in the Windy City that specializes in pork and oysters. Patrons are seated at large, communal tables and order from a menu that is organized by the size of the dish. It was recently recognized as being one of the 20 best restaurants in America to enjoy brunch...an honor due in part the their famous Bloody Mary's.
New Years day is probably the best day of the year to make a Bloody Mary. It's the perfect "hair of the dog" for those that lit their hair on fire the night before. As for me, I can barely stay up past 10pm, but I still think making a Publican Bloody Mary would make for a great way to start 2017. Try this recipe and I think you will agree with me.
1 quart tomato juice
1/4-inch fresh horseradish, chopped
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1/2 tablespoon Chinese hot mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire
1/2 lime, squeezed
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1 tablespoon vodka
dash of black pepper
dash of Old Bay Seasoning
dash of celery seeds
2 ounces vodka (I prefer Belvedere)
8 ounces Bloody Mary Mix
- Blend horseradish, Worcestershire, anchovies, Sriracha, mustard and spices until completely smooth.
- Add lemon, lime and tomato juice and blend. Taste mix and adjust spices as needed.
- Add tablespoon of vodka to stabilize the mix and keep juices fresh.
- Refrigerate and let mix marinate for 24 hours.
- Combine 2 ounces of vodka with 8 ounces of mix (no ice).
- Garnish as desired. (My favorite is a celery stalk with a Kosher garlic dill pickle spear.)
|Communal tables at The Publican.|