For the Tuna
2 pounds tuna steaks, about 2 inches thick
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon zest
4 small garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
4 fresh thyme sprigs
- Season tuna with salt.
- Stir 3 cups oil, the lemon zest, garlic, and thyme in a medium saucepan. Add tuna and more oil to cover tuna by 1/2 inch if needed.
- Set over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, until tuna is opaque, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely in the oil.
- To serve, use tongs to remove tuna from cooking oil. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Flake into 2-inch pieces.
For the Crostini
2 loaves of crusty bread like ciabatta, sliced thinly as possible
4 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning before toasting crostini
4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh ground pepper, for serving
Feta cheese and thinly sliced roasted red peppers* for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Brush bread with EVOO on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange on large baking sheet and bake until crusty and brown, 10-12 minutes total. Turn halfway through baking and dust with Parmesan.
Place tuna on crostini. Add feta cheese, red peppers and fresh ground pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.
*Roasted red peppers come in jars and are usually found in the same aisle as olives in jars.
Wine pairing: Pinot Noir