Braised Corned Beef
1 Corned Beef Brisket (any size will do)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place brisket in a Dutch oven (large pan with a lid). Add enough water so that half of the brisket is submerged in water.
- Cover top of Dutch oven with foil. Place lid over foil. Place in oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove brisket from Dutch oven. Slice and serve.
Wilted Cabbage Salad
1 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
1 medium head of red cabbage, shredded*
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of tarragon vinegar
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
*You can make the prep of this salad really easy if you buy bags of shredded red cabbage. Dole sells 10 ounce bags of shredded red cabbage. You will need 20 ounces of shredded red cabbage to make this recipe.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. When skillet is hot, add bacon and cook until evenly brown.
- Use slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon fat until browned.
- Add vinegar. Bring to a simmer, then add cabbage, caraway seeds and bacon.
- Saute briefly and serve warm.
Kieran Folliard's Mom's Brown Bread
1 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of sugar
3 1/3 cups (1 pound) whole-wheat flour
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons of honey
Milk, for brushing loaf
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dust baking sheet with flour.
- Into large mixing bowl, sift all-purpose flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and sugar. Stir in whole-wheat flour.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk and honey. Mix ingredients quickly until rough ball of dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and shape into 10-inch round loaf.
- Place loaf on baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut large "X" halfway through thickness of loaf.
- Brush loaf with milk.
- Bake bread for 40 minutes, until bread sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
- Remove bread from oven. Wrap in clean damp cloth and let cool, then slice and serve.