Just four simple ingredients
Marcella Hazan is the author of "The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking", which is considered the bible for Italian cooking. Her simple red sauce has been the subject of thousands of food blogs. Because it is so simple and so incredibly delicious, I am compelled to throw my hat in the ring.
The beauty of this sauce is that you only need four ingredients. And see that onion on the right? No mincing. No chopping. You are simply going to peel it, cut it in half to help flavor the sauce and then discard it. This recipe is sufficient to sauce one pound of pasta.
28-ounce can of good quality whole tomatoes
5 tablespoons of butter
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and halved
1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Heat a heavy sauce pan over medium heat
- Add all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to maintain steady simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, discard onion.
- Toss pasta with sauce and serve or simply spoon over your pasta.
Wine pairing: Nebbiolo, Sangiovese or Zinfandel