Saturday, October 8, 2016

Potato Nik







In the last few months I shared a couple of my favorite potato recipes: Kitchen Sink Hash Browns and Oven Roasted Hash. The photo above is of another of my favorite potato recipes. It's a Potato Nik...kind of a giant potato latke. It's actually more like a big potato pie. Grated potatoes and onions fried up crisp and brown...then cut up into slices like a pizza.



If you want, you can grate your own potatoes by hand or by using the grating disk on your food processor. I, however, like cutting corners, so I just pick up two, twenty-ounce bags of Simply Potatoes Shredded Hash Browns in the refrigerated section of my grocery store. This Mark Bitman recipe will serve 4-6 people.

I typically serve this with grilled steaks. Lately I've been marinating my steaks using an old steak house formula. I posted this 5 years ago and it is still one of my favorite ways to get great big flavor into a steak: http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2011/05/simple-marinade-for-grilled-steaks.html


Ingredients
2 pounds russet potatoes
1 medium onion
2 eggs
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons bread crumbs
Neutral frying oil like corn or grape seed


Directions


    1. Grate potatoes and onion by hand or with grating disk of a food processor; drain in colander or strainer. Combine potatoes and onions in a large bowl with eggs, salt, pepper and bread crumbs.
    2. Put about 1/8 inch oil in a large, deep skillet, either nonstick or seasoned cast iron; turn heat to medium-high. When oil is hot (it will shimmer) put all the batter in pan, and smooth the top. Cook, shaking pan occasionally; adjust heat so mixture sizzles but does not burn. Continue until bottom is nicely browned, at least 15 minutes.
    3. To turn, slide cake out onto a large plate, cover with another large plate and invert. Add a little more oil to pan if necessary, and slide pancake back in, cooked side up. Cook 15 minutes or so longer, until nicely browned. Then slice and serve.


    Wine pairing: If you are serving up grilled steaks with Potato Nik on the side, you'll want a big, juicy Cabernet Sauvignon.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment