Friday, July 15, 2011

Gazpacho




Minnesota is about to experience a week's worth of weather with temps in the upper 90's. Accordingly, I was planning  a week's worth of dinners that did not require use of my ovens. I had six of the seven nights all laid out, but was stumped for next Monday night's dinner. Low and behold, I get an email from an old family friend, Chip Myers, asking if I had a good recipe for gazpacho. As it happens, I did and thanks to Chip, gazpacho is on our menu for Monday night.

This recipe is from Rachel Ray and she calls it "Macho Gazpacho". The reason I love this recipe is because it is so stinkin' easy, it tastes incredible and it's 100% Paleo.

Her recipe calls for 64 ounces of canned tomatoes. The first time I made it I used 64 ounces of fresh tomatoes...that tasted good. The second time I made it I used canned tomatoes...that also tasted good, but it wasn't that much different from fresh. The third time I made it I used 64 ounces of Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes. That caused a huge bump in the flavor department. So do yourself a favor by using the Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes. It is really worth it. This recipe serves 6 (large bowls) to 10 (small cups).


Ingredients
64 ounces canned diced tomatoes
1/4 cup Tabasco, or other hot sauce*
1/2 European seedless cucumber, cut in chunks
1 red onion, cut in chunks
2 jalapenos, seeded and coarsely chopped
2 large ribs of celery, cut into chunks
1 bunch of cilantro
1 lime, juiced
Kosher salt
Fresh cracked pepper
Lemon or lime wedges for garnish

*For mild heat, use 2 tablespoons

Directions

  1. Working in batches, pulse-grind all ingredients in a food processor until you have a thick soup. Put each batch into a ceramic bowl large enough to hold all ingredients (do not use a stainless steel bowl). Stir well when all batches have been processed.
  2. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Place bowl in refrigerator and let chill for at least 3 hours.
  4. Serve in chilled glasses or bowls and garnish with lime or lemon.
Wine pairing: New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, Spanish Rose, Vouvray

Note: If you would like protein to go with this soup, I will offer you a page from the Fisher Island Beach Club menu. Take 3 ounces of chilled, shredded Alaskan King Crab (per person) and sprinkle it on top of each bowl of soup just before you serve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment