Saturday, January 4, 2020

Charred Salsa





I love simple recipes. Ones that I don't have to put a lot of thought into. And it's a true bonus if that simple recipe is also absolutely delicious. So this recipe checks both boxes. And while you can certainly cook this up on your grill, I'm going to show you a Minnesota Lazy shortcut. While I do have a charcoal grill right outside my kitchen deck door, I don't use it often because I really hate Minnesota winters. I prefer the warmth of my kitchen. So I bought an aftermarket grill grate and simply drop that over my gas burners. Grilling indoors during a Minnesota winter. Gotta love it.




Ingredients
1 pound of tomatoes, each tomato halved
1 small onion, skin on and halved
2 garlic loves, skin on
jalapeño
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt


Directions

  1. Heat grill to medium-high. Grill tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeño, turning occasionally, until charred on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Let cool 10 minutes.
  2. Remove skins from onion and garlic and transfer all vegetables to blender. Add cilantro and teaspoon salt and puree until chunky smooth.




Pairing: Football on tv, tortilla chips and an ice cold Pacifico



Grogs and Goldie, 1956


No comments:

Post a Comment