Saturday, August 4, 2018

Grilled Cajun Shrimp






I started shopping on Amazon in 1999. I hate shopping, so the idea of being able to browse and buy from the comfort of home was very appealing to me. No need to get in car and drive to buy stuff. So fast forward to 2018 and I am here to tell you that almost 100% of my purchases are made online.

There are two exceptions. There are two places I love to go shop. Costco and grocery stores. I want to see and touch the food I'm going to prepare. So it's a once a week trip to Costco that is pure joy. So is my daily trip to a grocery store.



Kirkland raw, tail-on shrimp is a favorite item for me. A 2-pound bag sells for $17.79. That makes Costco shrimp a bargain...$8.90 a pound versus $11.99 at most grocery stores. When Becky and I want shrimp for dinner, I just take a dozen out and thaw them out in the fridge overnight.

Cajun shrimp is one of our favorites. It's a great choice for a weeknight dinner because it only needs to cook for 4 minutes...2 minutes per side. I typically serve the shrimp with rice pilaf, which helps to mitigate the heat of the Cajun spices. 


Ingredients
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Lots of fresh ground black pepper
1-1/2-pounds peeled shrimp
Lemon wedges for garnish


Directions
  1. Prepare a grill for direct cooking over high heat.
  2. Mash garlic with salt until it forms a paste.
  3. To the paste, add cayenne, paprika, lemon juice, olive oil and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Rub paste all over shrimp.
  5. Thread shrimp on skewers and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
  6. Serve with lemon wedges.



Pairing: Only one thing goes with grilled Cajun food. Beer!



Grogs and Goldie, 1956




No comments:

Post a Comment