Saturday, April 21, 2018

Grilled Korean Short Rib Tacos





Winter's final indignity, an 18.5-inch snowfall on April 14, has now melted from our deck. I have a clear shot to my beloved Weber kettle. First, I will have to replace the One-Touch cleaning system. My lump charcoal fires burn at 1400º Fahrenheit...and after 2 years of repeated use, the One-Touch wings have melted.

My local grocery store, Jerry's, in Eden Prairie, just re-opened after being closed for 3 months. I've been shopping there since 1981....and after 37 years of never being touched, it was sorely in need of a total renewal. Because of that, I only used it for fill-in shopping for the last decade.

It re-opened earlier this month and they went all in! Their selection and layout rivals Byerly's, the upscale grocery store champions for the last 40 years (in the Twin Cities). It's a dream come true....having the best selection of meat (USDA Prime!) and groceries less than a half mile from my house.

They now stock two of my favorite items that are at the core of making Grilled Korean Short Rib Tacos. Those would be flanken-cut beef short ribs and Yon's Foods Kimchi. I absolutely love Kimchi and Yon's Foods version of it is my all-time favorite.


Once I have repaired my Weber, this will be the very first dish I prepare. I love tacos almost as much as my children, my wife and video games. And these are super easy to make. Just marinate the meat, grill for a few minutes then toss the meat, kimchi and cilantro into a flour tortilla.


INGREDIENTS


For the Meat and Marinade
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons mirin
1 medium pear, quartered
4 garlic cloves
1-inch piece of ginger
3 pounds of flanken cut short ribs (bone in)

Kosher salt
Fresh ground black pepper

For the Tacos
6" flour tortillas
Kimchi
Chopped cilantro


DIRECTIONS

  1. Place the first 7 items in a food processor and blend until the mixture is liquified. Place ribs in a zip lock bag and pour blended mixture over the ribs. Seal bag, turn to coat and refrigerate for 8 hours.
  2. Prepare grill for direct cooking over high heat.
  3. Drain ribs; discard marinade. Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place ribs on oiled grates, and grill, uncovered, until browned and cooked to medium-rare, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove bones and fat, and cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Place about 1 ounce meat on each tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup kimchi and a few cilantro leaves.



If you absolutely have to drink wine, I would pair this dish with a big, fruity Zinfandel. But if I am making Korean tacos, I want to be 100% in on an authentic Korean experience. Therefore, I'd reach for Seoul, Korea's favorite brew, OB Golden Lager.


Grogs and Goldie, 1956




No comments:

Post a Comment