This is my very favorite piece of meat to grill. It is the king of bone-in ribeye. Incredible marbling, intense beef flavor...all attached to a 20" rib bone. What a marvelous presentation it makes! My neighborhood Jerry's Market has been carrying them for years. And this summer, Costco started to sell them. In USDA Prime glory!
Tomahawk steaks weigh in at 2-1/2 pounds and are roughly 2 inches thick. I used to cook them on the grill. I'd sear them on both sides for 4 minutes and then cook them indirect for the balance. But the results I got were somewhat uneven. But I finally found a way to guarantee medium-rare perfection every single time.
I still sear each side of the steak over white-hot, lump hardwood charcoal for 4 minutes per side. But now I pop it into a 375º oven for 30 minutes after searing, then let it rest for 10 minutes. The steady heat of the oven yields a perfectly cooked tomahawk steak every, single time.
The only seasoning I recommend is kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. This is, perhaps, the greatest steak experience of all time. The taste of this steak is so vastly superior to that of any other steak, you only need salt and pepper to complete the experience. So get off your butt and get to Costco and stick one of these in your cart. Each steak serves 2 to 3 people.
One 2-1/2 pound Tomahawk Steak, 2" thick
Fresh cracked pepper
- Prior to grilling, take the steak out of the refrigerator and let it rest at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Prepare a grill for direct cooking over high heat and pre-heat your oven to 375º.
- When your coals are white hot, season steak with salt and pepper and then sear over hot coals (with the grill covered) for 4 minutes per side.
- Remove steak from grill and place it on a sheet pan with a cooling rack (this lets the steak's entire surface have contact with the hot air). Slide it into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove steak from oven, tent with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then slice and serve.
Wine pairing: A Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon would make this pairing a match made in heaven.