Saturday, August 1, 2015

Slow Cooker Mushrooms





I'm back again with another recipe for my favorite side dish. While I like to roast mushrooms, I tried an experiment last night that turned out spectacular. I did not want to fire up my oven because it was 85ยบ last night and I had the air off. On the menu were charcoal grilled rib eye steaks. So to minimize the heat in the kitchen, I pulled out the slow cooker.

You can use any kind of mushroom you like. Button mushrooms would work great. I had picked up a package of big crimini mushrooms (24 ounces for $4.49 at Costco). If you are going to use button mushrooms, leave them whole. If you are going to use big, giant crimini's, just cut them in half.

The beauty of this recipe is you just dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away. So there's minimal prep. And they taste so darn good, you won't have any leftovers (three of us downed all 24 ounces at dinner). And besides being delicious, mushrooms are full of protein and fiber. Enjoy!


Ingredients
24 ounces of mushrooms
6 ounces of butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper


Directions

  1. Combine all ingredients in your slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring once at the 2-hour mark. After 4 hours, taste and adjust seasonings, remove and serve.


Wine pairing: Petite Sirah






No comments:

Post a Comment