Here's one of the greatest sides to make with grilled steak. It's greatness is actually two-fold. First, the taste is great. You will find it hard to believe that boring old cauliflower can taste so friggin' fantastic. Secondly, it's great because it cooks on the grill right next to your steak. Your rib-eye and cauliflower steaks will both take about the same time on the grill.
And it's incredibly easy to prepare. All you do is take a full head of cauliflower and cut it into thick planks. Voila! Instant cauliflower steaks. The only other thing I would recommend is that you grill your beef and cauliflower steaks over a little mesquite. Smoke 'em if you got 'em! This recipe is from Faith Durand of The Kitchn.
2 large heads cauliflower
1/4 cup olive oil
2 limes, zested and juice
2 cloves garlic, finely grated
1 teaspoon honey or agave syrup
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chipotle powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
Lime wedges, to serve
- Remove the leaves on each cauliflower head and trim the stem end until you can set the cauliflower flat on the cutting board. Use a large, sharp knife to trim off the sides, then cut the cauliflower into 4 thick "steaks." Reserve the florets that fall away for another recipe.
- Whisk the olive oil with the lime juice in a small bowl. Whisk in the grated garlic and honey or agave syrup. In a separate bowl, mix the lime zest, paprika, chipotle, and salt.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to high. Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with the olive oil mixture and sprinkle generously with the chipotle powder mixture. Place the seasoned side down on the hot grill. Brush the tops with the olive oil mixture and season with the chipotle mix.
- Cover the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the lid and carefully flip the cauliflower. Cook covered for an additional 5 minutes or until done to your desired texture.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.
Wine pairing: For something unique and different, try a Petite Syrah.