Saturday, March 1, 2014

Grilled Shrimp Scampi





We're still weeks away from grilling in this land of the Polar Vortex (yes, another subzero day today). While I just returned from a week in Scottsdale (every meal eaten outdoors, yippee!), the cold is still unbearable. But I can't get grilling out of my mind as it's been four months since I last fired up my Weber.

Shrimp Scampi is one of my very favorite meals and here is my favorite way to prepare it: http://terrygruggen.blogspot.com/2011/09/shrimp-scampi.html. In this recipe the shrimp are sautéed and then crowned with an incredibly rich sauce, comprised primarily of butter.

Speaking of butter, quality matters. The highest quality butter I have found is Kerrygold Irish Butter. First, it's from Ireland. Second, it is made from grass-fed cows. The taste is extraordinary and you can find it at my favorite store, Costco!



Bobby Flay likes Shrimp Scampi as well, however, he has made his reputation as the ultimate griller. So he took the basic Shrimp Scampi recipe and adapted it for the grill. This recipe could not be any easier. We are talking ten minutes of prep and just five minutes of grill time. 

This recipe serves four and the char takes this dish to all new heights. And, it gives me a chance to exercise the new food chopper that my good friend Jeff Pinkham just sent me. Thanks, Jeff!


INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 limes, juiced
2 teaspoons honey
2 (2-inch) piece fresh ginger, finely grated
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup canola oil, divided
1 1/4 pounds large (21-24 per pound) shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 stick butter (4 ounces), softened (Kerrygold recommended)


DIRECTIONS

1. Whisk together 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, the lime juice, honey, ginger, garlic and 1/4 cup canola oil in a bowl and add to a food processor. Add the softened butter and pulse until thoroughly combined.

2. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and brush mixture onto the shrimp. Place onto preheated grill and cook in a single layer for 2 minutes per side, or until just cooked through.


Wine pairing: A nice oaky Chardonnay




No comments:

Post a Comment