Saturday, August 17, 2013

Classic Lettuce Wedge Salad




I don't want any vegetables, thank you.
I paid for the cow to eat them for me.
-Doug Coupland-


This is just about as simple and old school as it gets. Quarter a small head of iceberg lettuce....slather it with blue cheese or ranch dressing...then sprinkle with bacon. This was the "go-to" salad of the 1950's supper clubs. It's also one of the few salads that my younger son, Patrick, gets exited about.

Sean, my oldest son, pounds down vegetables like there is no tomorrow. For lunch each day, he likes nothing more than a paleo-perfect steak salad. Arugula is his lettuce of choice. But when it comes to Patrick, he simply replies that he "hates all green food".

There are two salads that Patrick will eat...Caesar and this Classic Lettuce Wedge Salad...the latter being his clear favorite. This salad tastes fantastic and it will take you all of two minutes to make the four salads.

I recommend you buy a small head of iceberg lettuce. Make sure it is incredibly firm to the touch. For the bacon, I buy Kirkland Crumbled Bacon at Costco. It comes in a 20 ounce bag and is incredibly moist and delicious. For just $12.99, I always have a large supply of crumbled bacon in my fridge. For the dressing, I prefer blue cheese, but Patrick likes his with ranch.


Ingredients
1 small, firm head of iceberg lettuce
1 bottle blue cheese dressing
12 tablespoons crumbled bacon bits
Chopped chives (optional, depending on your guests' viewpoint of green food)


Directions

  1. Wash and thoroughly dry lettuce. Cutting from pole to pole, slice the head into four separate wedges. Place wedges on four small salad plates.
  2. Pour ample amount of dressing over each wedge.
  3. Sprinkle with bacon and chives (optional). Serve.

Wine pairing: Pinot Noir




1 comment:

  1. This was salad at my house for the first 18 years of my life. Except the dressing was the uber sweet Dorothy Lynch's Home Style.

    ReplyDelete